Thursday 3/19/09 Labelle to Stuart

















We were up at 5:30. After coffee we untied the lines and made it through the bridge at 6:44. It’s a little eerie cruising when it’s still dark, especially down an unfamiliar canal. Navigational lights and anchor lights do not offer much help, so you use the reflection of the trees along the shoreline against the moonlight to guide you, using a spotlight occasionally to identify objects in front of you.

Wow, this is the first morning in a while we had to actually put on sweatshirts…gee I can tell we aren’t in Kansas (Keys) any more! The sun is starting to peek through the clouds, just in time for me to get a glimpse at my first gator! Well, I saw his eyes peeking out above the water anyway…until he noticed the boat and dove under.
It’s 9:35 and just cleared our second lock today. The first lock raised us two feet, this one another 8 feet. I have to quote something I read in the Skipper Bob’s ICW book, it’s too humorous not to share. This refers to the Moore Haven RR Bridge; “If closed sound horn to get the attention of the operator sitting next to the bridge in his vehicle”! I love it!!!

Well I got my wish finally. Just after going through the Moore Haven Lock we started seeing lots of gators. Most with only their eyes above water, but some were sunning on the banks. One small one was on the bank and our wake was so strong it almost rolled him over, which startled him and made him scurry off. It is now 10:30 and we just reached the West coast of Lake Okeechobee. We are making pretty good time and should reach Stuart today as planned.

We made our way though the rest of the canal after locking at the East coast of the lake and pulled into our slip at Harbor Inn & Marina at 3:15. We will be here through the weekend. We got a call from Bob & Shirley (s/v Persystence) and met them for dinner in town. They happen to be in Stuart on their way North. Good timing!

I am posting photos of some of the sights along the Okeechobee....

No comments: