Mel, Chip and I took a bus to Key West today. I had never been and the other two were more than willing to go again. First stop, lunch at Conch Republic on the waterfront. Great food, gorgeous view. After lunch we took a walk down the waterfront until we got to Front Street. Walked up Front St until we got to Duval Street, where we headed to the end of Duval to that world famous most southern point in the USA painted bouy (or rock) (I had to get my photo taken there like all the other tourist!) On our way down Duval we stopped in a few places like the Hogsbreath Saloon, Willie T's, one place that claimed to be the "smallest bar in Florida", a pink flamingo shop called Linda's (took this photo just for SR), and we past by a trillion other tee shirt, touristy places. Our waiter at the Conch Republic told us we could patronize a different restaurant and/or bar every day for a year and still not hit the same one twice! And I believe this after our stroll down Duval Street!
We came across a dog sitting on a blanket with sunglasses and mardi gras beads on, surrounded with trinkets and tip baskets sitting on either side of him. Not sure if he was homeless (can a dog really be homeless?) and supposed to do a trick for the money or just sit there being cute, but we gave him a dollar anyway.....good karma!
Pictures will speak for themselves. Once we made it to the "southern most tip of the world" and I got the photo we walked all that way to get, we hailed a pedicycle and let him ride us back up Duval to the bus stop. This is definitely a place to explore in more than just a day! Didn't get the chance to do the "Duval Crawl" which I am assuming has something to do with bar hopping? Will have to do that on the next trip. It was a good day.
Back to the marina for a late bite and get ready for our fishing trip tomorrow!

No comments:
Post a Comment