
Tied up at the Fernandina Harbor Marina at 3:00 p.m.. It was a gorgeous day on the water. We tied up the boat, washed the salt off the boat and ourselves and headed into town. I love this place, the marina is right across the street from a quaint downtown section of Amelia Island. We had heard about the Palace, which is the oldest bar in Florida, dating back to 1903 (learn more about it at http://www.thepalacesaloon.com/history.shtml ), so we wandered in for a cocktail and a bit of history. I remember the walls being covered with historical paintings, the smell of cigarettes and our friend, Kim, asking me if I wanted to try a local drink called Pirates Punch. The next thing I recall is asking that we go to dinner and saying no thank you to another Pirates Punch. My head was spinning when I stood up, though it was not entirely a bad feeling, I knew I needed food to balance the alcohol. Kim drove out to the Cedar River Seafood Restaurant after giving us a quick tour of Amelia Island (none of which I really remember). I felt much better (coherent is more like it) after dinner. Let's say I was asleep pretty early.
The next day we caught a cab to run some errands. I was dropped off at a shopping center to go to the grocery store and Walmart to pick up some supplies, and even more importantly, to get my nails done, while Chip was getting his leg tended to by a doctor (he had taken a fall back in Surf City and banged his shin on the side of the boat, where it took out a little chunk of skin. Even though it swelled up to the size of a baseball the next day and turned all kinds of pretty shades of red and purple, he insisted it was nothing and just kept putting neosporin and bandaids on it. Kim happens to work in an emergency care facility and together we finally convinced him to come in and let the doc look at it). He got a tetnus shot, a prescription for antibiotics and he was on his way. They picked me up and we headed to the boat.
That evening we wandered back into town and had dinner at a little Italian place we found. A glass of Chianti with dinner....more my style.
The next day we caught a cab to run some errands. I was dropped off at a shopping center to go to the grocery store and Walmart to pick up some supplies, and even more importantly, to get my nails done, while Chip was getting his leg tended to by a doctor (he had taken a fall back in Surf City and banged his shin on the side of the boat, where it took out a little chunk of skin. Even though it swelled up to the size of a baseball the next day and turned all kinds of pretty shades of red and purple, he insisted it was nothing and just kept putting neosporin and bandaids on it. Kim happens to work in an emergency care facility and together we finally convinced him to come in and let the doc look at it). He got a tetnus shot, a prescription for antibiotics and he was on his way. They picked me up and we headed to the boat.
That evening we wandered back into town and had dinner at a little Italian place we found. A glass of Chianti with dinner....more my style.

No comments:
Post a Comment