Sunday 12/21/08 Fishing.....part II
























































Mel, Chip and I had breakfast at the marina then headed out for another day on the water. Mel was so excited catching the biggest fish he had ever caught, he wanted to go out with us again. We stopped to try and catch some more ballyhoo, so we found a shallow spot and dropped the anchor. The water was even clearer than yesterday so I snapped a couple of pics of the bottom, even caught a small ray as it swam by. Saw a small hammer head shark too, but he was too fast for my camera. I drove the boat while the guys set up the lines. We were in 200 ft of cobalt blue water and it was flat as a pancake out there (I have included a couple photos of this). Gorgeous day. Only 20 minutes into our troll we got a knock down. Chip and Mel started reeling in the other lines while I kept my eye on the fish (still couldn't tell what it was at this point). Chip took the pole, positioned himself in the fighting chair and started reeling in his catch. It was another Wahoo, a little bigger than the one caught yesterday. This time they were prepared, after getting the fish in the boat, Chip had the booze readily available....Gin this time. Immediately calmed the fish down. (that is still so funny to me) Got him in the cooler and put the lines back out. As we trolled along at about 5 knots we started seeing dolphin. It was a pretty large pod, 15 or 20, and they swam all around the boat for a while then just disappeared.
Trolled for a while longer then decided to turn and troll towards the inlet. We got another knock down and I headed to the cockpit..........it was my turn! Chip came up to the fly bridge while Mel and I started reeling in the lines. When I finally got to the line with the fish it seemed stuck, hard as heck to reel. Mel helped by reeling in the line next to mine, then we realized I didn't have a fish, the lines were tangled. For those who fish, I'm sure you have heard the term "birds nest" and "knitting a sock" well this was more like the later. What a mess. Mel and I did manage to get all the lines untangled but two. And after a few more minutes, Mel got those undone as well. So we got the lines out and were back to trolling, Chip is driving and I'm in the cockpit watching the lines with Mel. We drove through a grassy area and the Captain tells me to reel in the **WFB line because it looks like it has picked up some grass. I start reeling, for what seems like an hour, and when I finally get the lure up to the boat, it has a fish on it! Its a Little Tunny! We released it before I could get a photo, so I have included one from the web to show those who don't know what that is, what it looked like. He was only about two feet long, so we sent him home.

Mel went ahead and steaked out the Wahoo on the trip back to the marina and once again we gave most of it away to the employees at the restaurant and to the dock master. Another Great day!
The photo at the top is the view we get every morning from the back of the boat. Nice huh.....


**WFB = Way Far Back (there is another term for it, but there might be children reading this!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want a Pink Flamingo they are SOOOOOO cute LOL Love and miss yall cant wait to see you soon P&S