Thursday 1/08/09 Day on the water...


Today we took the boat out through Sister's Creek in search of a shallow place to anchor out so Chip could dive under the boat and check out the props......they were still singing a little. We ended up over by the Seven Mile Bridge where we saw birds working and a lot of splashing going on. We could see the bait and the fish chasing them both jumping out of the water. There were Spanish Mackerel and small Black Fin Tuna feeding, and the birds were getting in on the action as well. Chip maneuvered the boat over while I stood ready on the bow....fishing pole in hand and ready to cast. We got close so I cast my line over to where the fish were.......just as the lure hit the water, the fish were gone! They resurfaced about 50 yds behind the boat, so Chip turned around and headed towards the fish.......I held on to the bow rail. He put the boat in neutral, we drifted by the feeding frenzy and we both cast this time. Chip caught a nice Spanish, but my line came back empty handed....again. This went on for about two hours...Chip caught a second nice fish and I just couldn't seem to get anywhere near them! Sometimes that is just the way it happens.


After fishing we headed over towards Pigeon Island and dropped the anchor in about 10 ft of water. We ate lunch and watched two other boats chase the Mackerel around the same area we had just left. They didn't have any better luck than we did. After lunch Chip gathered his dive gear together, changed into his wet suit and jumped overboard. I made sure his air supply didn't get kinked or tangled and kept my eye on the anchor line......which I could tell was slowly dragging, but nothing to worry about at this point. After doing a little work on the props, Chip climbed back in the boat and we pulled up the anchor and went back to the dock.


We invited our neighbor Cindy for dinner and cooked our Spanish Mackerel on the grill with fresh garlic and olive oil. We served it with Spanish rice (appropriate) and a salad. Life is good.

No comments: